Years Served and Branch: 4 USMC
Location: Orange, CA
Why he needs help:
Shane got connected with CMP through a homeless activist. In 2015 Shane started becoming more and more ill, therefore not being able to work. His wife, lost her job as well due to taking time to help Shane. They have 4 children, 1 who is autistic. The children are all being supervised by family members while Shane and his wife get back to normalcy.
Shane is currently in the process of getting connected with the VA and getting housing and his medical needs taken care of. Shane receives SSDI, but the amount he receives only feeds his family. He is diagnosed with congestive heart failure , stage-2 colon cancer, multiple sclerosis, and has has several strokes and heart attacks. He is only 38 yrs old.
Here are some videos and stories that relate to Shane and his story. We will add more information as time goes on and we carry Shane out of this slump.
Videos Credit: Lou Noble
CMP provides the following assistance to Shane and his family, FOR FREE:
- Paperwork for the VA, and directing Shane to the people who will MAKE things happen
- Hotel stay (for up to 3 weeks)
CMP is asking that the community help with the following needs:
- Clothing for entire family (estimate $300 from thrift store)
- Food (estimate $400)
- Transportation (CMP can help them find a van with a ramp between $3,500 – $10,000 and we’d like to pay for first month insurance, usually $40-50/m)
- Special Furniture that is handicap accessible ($5,000)
- First month apartment rental payment (they want to live within 10 miles of Santa Ana, CA so around $2500)
Estimated Maximum Total: $18250
I know this seems like a lot, but this is the cost for CMP to completely get this veteran off the streets for good. No other organization is willing to do this. The county programs spend 1,000,000s of dollars to “help” people who are homeless, but nothing is really being done. This solution is very little compared to what we spend as tax payers.
NOTE: CMP will be doing follow up visits with them and will post updates on this page. Please make sure to bookmark to follow his story to success.